Saturday 5 March 2016

Who do you tell when you publish your very first book? by Carole Brungar

Hi, I want to thank Louise for having me on her blog and I wanted to share an experience with you. 

In November 2014, after more than eight years in the making, I self published my very first novel, A tide too high. My baby. 

Most of my work colleagues know I write, day after day they watch me disappear with my laptop. They are all very supportive and often ask how my work is progressing, many have even purchased a copy. In fact when I first published it, my manager purchased a copy of it and got staff members to sign the inside covers with messages of congratulations then he presented me with it at a special morning tea. I thought this was amazing and was very touched that he would do this. It was lovely and I would have been happy for it to stop there. 

However, it was not to be and word spread throughout the office like wildfire. Suddenly staff members were stopping me in the corridors and cafe and asking who my hero was based on, did they know them? Where did I get my female heroine from? One day I had a woman stop by my desk and ask about the hero as a man she worked with in her office was telling everyone I had modelled my high-flying handsome hero on him! I soon put her right. 

Then several weeks later, when I thought everyone had forgotten about it, I was sitting in a meeting which was made up of general managers and managers and was generally pretty much run of the mill. And then, out of the blue, a general manager, in everyones hearing asked if I was considering using any staff members in my next book? What? I was a little embarrassed as laughter erupted around the room and offers and recommendations were made. I assured them all that my characters were fictional, however, I was told, however,  that I should go and scope out all the handsome young blokes in the other offices. 

I couldn't believe just how many people thought I had either written them into my novel or had given characters traits specific to them. All I can say, is I'm pleased I didn't write an office based romance!

I am still writing during my lunch breaks, but I don't talk about it. A couple of weeks back I had a new manager start. As I walked him around the building and introduced him to staff, he was interested to hear that I'd published a novel. Later that afternoon I overheard him tell the young man who sits next to me, "you know she's basing her hero in this new book on you, don't you?"  Grrrrrr!

I am hugely motivated and proud that A tide too high was judged a finalist in three different competitions, placing third in The Romance Writers of America Excellence in Romantic Fiction Award, The First Coast Best First Book and fourth in the Koru Best First Book Award with New Zealand Romance Writers, with some encouraging requests from editors to read my new novel.

If you'd like to read a copy of A tide too high, check it out at: http://amzn.to/1GLaS9P 

If you have time I'd love to hear from you, we can chat over at: www.facebook.com/CABrungarAuthor

Find me on Twitter at: nznovelist

I was born in the seaside town of Foxton, New Zealand and although I left as a baby, I returned many times on holiday with my parents. My grandparents owned a milkbar with a jukebox (which will feature in my next novel), - who could ask for a better reason to visit! I grew up in Huntly, a rural Waikato town that is steeped in rich mining history, and I did the big OE early in life, traveling extensively in the UK, Europe and Pacific before working my way around the North Island of New Zealand.

I gained a Batchelor of Communication through Massey University in Palmerston North, majoring in Communication Management and Journalism, and have a long history associated with photography and journalism, working as an editor of a newspaper, a photographer, and as a journalist for a variety of newspapers and magazines. I am currently working for a local council as a communications officer.

My hobbies include mixed media art and quilting along with reading, gardening and photography. I run my own art studio and teach art classes wherever I'm invited to teach. My partner Dennis and I live in the Horowhenua town of Levin not far from where I was born in Foxton, surrounded by lots of beautiful trees. We have three grown children and one grandchild and are totally owned by our two cats, Buddy and Wednesday.

It's taken me several years, many lunch hours, cold dinners and late nights to get this first book finished. I hope you enjoy it because I'll be writing more!
 
About A tide too high

Mac Morgan is the driving force behind one of New Zealand’s biggest exports, rock band Polar Blaze. With thousands of fans and packed concerts around the world she has spent her life living in her sister’s shadow. But when Mac collapses on stage in front of a packed stadium she has no choice but to give up the unhealthy lifestyle and make some serious life changes. She disappears from media scrutiny and spends time at a private beach in the far north of New Zealand, a large coastal property owned by the Stanford family. 

London based Alec Stanford wants what his twin brother has, a home, a wife and children. But just because he’s one of the world’s most successful and respected businessmen doesn’t mean he’s good at personal relationships. After his beautiful socialite wife files divorce papers, he thinks maybe he’s just not marriage material. But he’s not prepared for the chance meeting with a burnt out rock star who’s hiding out from the media. A chance meeting that shifts the axis of two separate worlds with devastating results. 
 
Who will Alec choose and who will he lose? A tide too high is a story about relationships, misplaced loyalty and being strong enough to believe in yourself.
 

"It explores the messy modern relationship and it's an emotional roller-coaster of a read. If you love Danielle Steel, you will love this book." - Janet Elizabeth Henderson

No comments:

Post a Comment